Friday, January 22, 2010

The purity of my language

Beyond all the activities I’ve decided to go to the course on dramaturgy. Yesterday was the first class. There are several answers to “why?”:

  • to learn on how to create and tell your story
  • to learn to write in the way that keeps me evolving
  • to have a stimulus to read more, pay attention to the feelings and outer world, and write/express it better

Lately I’ve started to worry about the purity and quality of my language. I’ve noticed that once I mechanically repeat some set phrases, I roll back, and don’t have an opportunity to move forward. It started to mean a lot to me on what words I use, how I speak. This all affects the inner world. Let alone the external world. Pushkin, the Russian poet once wrote that we never know how our word echoes in the world.

We in Ukraine, with almost 70% of population who speak Russian, have only one national language. This is good for the Ukraine, yet I would dream to have at least 2 national languages. For I realize that I became poorer in terms of language, making mistakes and mingling two languages (plus, adding some English words from time to time). As a result I have no real purity in the way I speak. And somehow it affects my personality. So, I’ve started to mind it, somehow seeing it as an opportunity – to grow as a person, be present and alive.

No comments: